Dr. Sharum Sharif, N.D., is a board-certified, licensed naturopathic physician and a 2003 graduate of Bastyr University in Seattle, Washington. He is also a homeopath, and is a graduate of the New England School of Homeopathy. He works full-time as a naturopathic physician at his clinic in Kent, WA. As an Affiliate Clinical Faculty with Bastyr University, he teaches naturopathic medical students as they do rotations at his clinic. Dr. Sharif teaches occasional courses at Bastyr University and has been a guest lecturer at various organizations throughout the Puget Sound area.
As a naturopathic primary care physician, Dr. Sharif provides a holistic, natural approach to the primary care medical needs of the whole family. His medical paradigm focuses on optimizing health rather than treating disease. He is particularly interested in providing care for individuals with complex conditions that have been impossible or difficult to diagnose or treat using allopathic (or Western) medicine as well as conventional naturopathic medicine.
Prior to pursuing graduate studies in naturopathic medicine, Dr. Sharif received an Electrical Engineering degree from the University of Washington, and worked as an engineer at Microsoft and other software companies for several years.
Dr. Sharif has written a textbook of homeopathy entitled “Visual Homeopathy: Identifying the Common Constitutions Within Minutes”. He teaches the Visual Homeopathy approach in naturopathic medical schools throughout North America.
He is also currently writing a book entitled “Cure”, on what it takes to heal one’s self physically, emotionally and mentally. It will cover details on topics he commonly discusses with his patients, as well as include many helpful graphs and illustrations that cannot be found elsewhere.
Dr. Sharifs medical paradigm is based on optimizing health rather than treating disease. He is particularly interested in providing care for individuals with complex conditions that have been difficult to diagnose or treat using conventional techniques. He also specializes in treating individuals who are not responding, or are only partially responding, to conventional medical treatments. Finally, another group of patients who are of interest to Dr. Sharif are those who have already tried various natural medicines either on their own or under the supervision of a health care practitioner. He firmly believes that there is no use taking supplements (vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc.) if the organs of metabolism (liver, intestines, and kidneys) are not functioning properly. This is the reason many people continue feeling ill even while taking a variety of supplements.
As a trained engineer, he brings a unique approach to medical case analysis and management, utilizing a comprehensive engineering methodology.
Dr. Sharifs approach to patient care includes:
- Comprehensive office intake forms (these can be downloaded from the website).
- Extensive office visits during which time he thoroughly investigates the patients current and past medical, family, and social history.
- Complete head-to-toe physical examination.
- Comprehensive conventional blood and urine tests.
- Various alternative tests performed mainly by the naturopathic community. (Some examples are adrenal hormone testing to assess adrenal fatigue, NTx testing to monitor osteoporosis by measuring calcium loss in the urine, intracellular nutritional analysis, etc.)
- Various diagnostic imaging tests (such as X-ray, CT scans, MRI, and Ultrasound) to further assess the health of the internal organs and bodily tissues if necessary.
- Typed treatment plans for the patient to take home at every visit. These thorough ½ – 1 page health optimization protocols may include :
- Dietary and lifestyle suggestions
- Specific nutritional supplementations
- Prescription natural medicines (high potency homeopathic or herbal medicines)
- Natural hormones (thyroid, bio-identical female hormones, adrenal glandulars)
- Referrals to other health care providers if necessary
Achieving optimal health is an ongoing and dynamic process, so at each visit, Dr. Sharifs recommendations will address new issues that have come up, or another aspect of the persons health. For example, during one visit, he might focus entirely on the internal organs, and another visit, he might shift his focus to the mental/emotional aspect of the patient. For more information on this subject, refer to the article (under Educational Articles) on this website titled “7 Steps to Healing”.
- Numerous educational materials are provided to help empower patients to take charge of their own health. They may receive handouts or check out books/videos from the clinic library on topics such as diet, lifestyle, supplements, medicines, or other health related subjects. The large amount of health information available these days can seem overwhelming and confusing, therefore Dr. Sharif has hand selected the most educational yet unbiased sources of information to save his patients from undergoing the daunting task of sorting through the information on their own. The clinic collection is being continuously updated as new materials/information comes out.
- 1-2 hour group talks are offered, live or on video. These are on a variety of subjects to educate people on different conditions and what can be done to improve their health.
It is the above comprehensive approach that enables Dr. Sharif to identify the root cause of his patients problems (even if the patient can not be diagnosed with any one particular disease), and to successfully treat his patients. There are often ever-so-subtle medical problems that can have a significant impact on a persons overall health and healing, and yet the problem is not diagnosable or at least not acknowledged in conventional medicine. This is why and how Dr. Sharif welcomes complex and challenging conditions of all types.
To summarize, Dr. Sharifs philosophy involves treating the whole person, not just the symptoms. He accomplishes this by removing the obstacles that might be blocking the bodys ability to heal, optimizing the health of the internal organs, and then helping the patient on the mental/emotional level. He believes that even the most perplexing conditions, including auto-immune diseases and cancer, can be treated and ultimately cured by following this truly holistic approach to healthcare.
Whole Health Clinic, viewed from West Valley Highway
Picture of our clinic lobby
Our dispensary, providing the highest quality natural supplements and medicines, most available through doctors’ offices only